Looking for ways to grow your business’ reach online? Video advertising is a strategy that every small business owner should consider.
Video content is now more popular than ever. According to a Wyzowl survey, 75 percent of viewers watch short-form content online and are 52 percent more likely to share it than other media types. Business owners say that video marketing increased brand awareness, web traffic, and sales by over 80 percent. Featuring video content on Facebook, YouTube, TikTok, and your website is a great way to convert interest into sales and grow your brand.
How to Make an Effective Video Ad
Still trying to figure out where to start? Here are five tips to help you create an effective video advertisement for your small business:
1. Make the First Few Seconds Count
The beginning of your video is critical. Hook your audience within the first few seconds by addressing a common problem, asking a relevant question, or sharing something unique about your brand. By starting your video with a statement to spark interest, you grab customers’ attention and reduce the chance they skip the ad or click away.
Remember, video ads are often muted, so start yours with great visuals to catch the viewers’ eye.
2. Highlight What Makes Your Brand Great
Tell viewers why your brand stands out. We know you’re doing awesome work, don’t be afraid to showcase it.
You might share your achievements, successful track record, or include positive customer testimonials. The more you highlight what makes your company so great, the more effective your video ad will be.
3. Tell Viewers Why
Besides highlighting the individuality of your brand, you must explain what makes your product or service the “right choice.” Whether it’s great value, unlimited warranty, or patented technology for creating a unique product, you must give viewers a reason to choose your company.
4. Timing Your Video Ad
Just as you must engage viewers within the first few seconds of your video, you must also keep their attention. While different videos and platforms benefit from different lengths, you must cut unnecessary content and spread your message as concisely as possible.
Most video ads are 30 seconds or less, but it varies depending on the platform. While the ideal length for a YouTube video is two minutes, an Instagram Story can only be 15 seconds at most. Think about what platforms you want to advertise on, and keep that optimal length in mind as you plan the script for your video.
5. Use a Call to Action
The goal of every advertisement is to motivate people to take action. The call to action (CTA) can be filmed or added through graphics and text. It’s best to include the CTA at the end of your video. This shows viewers how to visit your website to learn more, receive a discount, or buy your products and services.
Create an Effective Video Ad – What to Consider
We understand that creating a video advertisement could be daunting, but we are here to help. Here are some more tips and considerations as you navigate the creative process:
- Solve a Problem – What problem is your business solving, and how? A good video ad will highlight a problem and show how your brand solves it.
- Use a Script – Creating a plan before producing a video is essential. Write a script that includes the important components mentioned above.
- Tip: Get your friends, family, and those familiar with your brand to review the video and provide feedback. An outside perspective allows you to adjust the video to increase its effectiveness.
- Choose a Platform – Once you’ve produced and edited your video, uploading the content to a high-quality platform is essential. YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok are popular and reliable choices for uploading video content.
- Tip: Using multiple platforms extends the reach of your video to different users and demographics.
- Get Creative – Viewers are used to seeing advertisements and clicking away. Choose a unique format or style to allow your brand to promote itself while appealing to your target market. The more creative you get, the more your advertisement will stand out.
How Small Business BC Can Help Your Business
SBBC is a non-profit resource centre for BC-based small businesses. Whatever your idea of success is, we’re here to provide holistic support and resources at every step of the journey. Check out our range of business webinars, on-demand E-Learning Education, our Talk to an Expert Advisories, or browse our business articles.