If you’re looking to take your business online, there are several ways you can achieve your goal. A basic website and social media channels are your first priority, but once they’re set up, you need to make it as easy as possible for customers to find you online. Google My Business offers a free and effective way to achieve this goal.
What is Google My Business?
Google My Business acts a business listing for your company on Google. It provides a place for you to list important information such as store hours, contact details, and your physical address. It displays your Google Reviews, allows you to answer customer queries in a visible manner and turn Google searches into warm leads for your business. Think of Google My Business as the Yellow Pages for our online world.
Why is Google My Business Important?
Google dominates the search industry to such an extent that businesses are forced to play by their rules. Businesses must optimize their web pages to make it easier for Google to index them (Search Engine Optimization), and Google My Business acts as an extension of this process. In a recent Google My Business insights study, 84 per cent of business searches were “discovery searches,” which means an individual searched by business type and not business name.
Creating a Google My Business listing allows your business to tap into this traffic, boosting your SEO efforts and widening your sales funnel.
The Benefits of Creating a Google My Business Listing
A Google My Business listing was once a basic business listing that has grown to become a more robustly featured online presence for your business. It allows you to add the following details to your business online, directly within Google Search:
- Blog Posts – 300-word posts with an image
- Customer reviews
- Public questions and answers
- Menu displaying your services
- Booking button
- Photos and videos of your business
- Opening hours
- Contact details
- Links to your website
How to Create a Google My Business Listing
Creating a Google My Business Listing is simple and free. Here’s a quick and simple guide on how to create a listing for your business.
- Visit Google Business
- Click “Get Started”
- Enter the details of your business when prompted, including name, address, business type etc.
- Specify the area in which you conduct business
- Complete the verification process. Google offers three methods of verifying
- Postcard Verification – a verification postcard is mailed to your address
- Phone Verification – you receive a call with a verification code
- Email Verification – you receive an email to the Google Account associated with your listing
I’m Verified on Google My Business – What’s Next?
You’re almost ready to go, now you can flesh out your business listing with important details. Consider the following:
- Adding a visual element with photos or videos
- Write a compelling business description
- Add service menus and product collections
- Encourage your community to leave reviews
- Update your business hours, location and contact information
- Adding some blog posts to encourage interaction
Once your Google My Business listing is online, it will act as a powerful lead magnet for your business.
Here to Help
No matter what stage of your business journey you’re at, Small Business BC has the resources you need to succeed. Check out our range of business webinars, our Talk to an Expert Advisories, or browse our selection of business articles.