This is the woe of every new entrepreneur or small business, “How do I get more clients?” When I first started out in business this was really all that was on my mind. I knew that I was doing something incredible, I just needed people to share it with! I did a ton of networking, some internet advertising, and a lot of praying and hoping that somehow people would “find me”. What I didn’t have was a reliable plan of action for how to go about this easily and effectively. This left me feeling constantly uncertain and needy and out of control. I quickly discovered that playing the waiting game only leads to frustration and fear and not much more.
This is an all too familiar scenario that I see other entrepreneurs and creative people going through constantly. To help you avoid this harrowing pitfall I’ve put together 5 specific steps to make it easier to attract more clients and income to your business.
1. Decide. This may sound ridiculously simple, but this first step can not be overlooked. When you make a concrete decision to do what needs to be done, no matter how uncomfortable it may seem in the moment, as opposed to wishing and hoping, everything changes. Deciding to make it happen means getting clear and getting focused, taking more strategic action and being responsible for the outcome. Things that seem uncomfortable at first, when practiced will become second nature. Every accomplishment in life, great or small begins with a decision.
2. Learn more. Plan more. Do more. If you’re serious about getting more clients, customers, bookings or referrals than you’re currently experience, something is going to have to change. You’ll need new information, followed by strategic planning and action, action, action. Commit to learning more about marketing and client attraction on a weekly basis, create a simple marketing plan to use the new information effectively, and then start to take action. If the information is reliable, the plan is good and you get moving, you’ll start seeing results very quickly.
3. Set targets. Keep Track. “What get’s measured get’s managed.” When we’re trying to loose weight, we track it. Run a marathon, we track it. If you want to book more clients, increase your revenues, or get more referrals, track it. Start by setting a target. A 30 day target is the simplest, but I also encourage yearly, quarterly, monthly and weekly targets for entrepreneurs who are really driven and committed to results. A 20% increase is a good place to start. It’s enough to get you to stretch and take action, without the fears, failure and overwhelm. Once you’ve decided on the number, start tracking the actions you’re taking to get it on a daily basis.
4. Fire Hose Market. Don’t just trickle, network or mention your business here and there, it’s time to pull out the big guns. Create a mega campaign to “be known everywhere” for what you’re really good at and reach everyone you possibly can. This in and of itself may require substantial effort up front, but will pay off in the months to come.
5. Believe. This can be the single biggest challenge for new entrepreneurs; to really believe that people want and need what you have to offer. Remember the reasons you were so passionate about this business to begin with? They still hold true. If you can ease someone’s pain, lessen their challenges, resolve their struggles or just give someone something that feels good (I’m deeply grateful for my favorite chocolatier) you are needed and wanted. Believe in this, and share your gifts through your marketing; it’s the way for new business and new clients to come in.
When you start playing a bigger game, you get bigger results. You will change your world and the lives of those around you. Here and now I’m asking you to commit to a 20% – 30 Day Challenge. And for a little accountability? Post your targets and comments on the blog.