Are you an aspiring entrepreneur looking to innovate in the food or beverage industry? Below, we’ve listed available resources in British Columbia that can help you start your culinary journey.
Small Business BC
Small Business BC provides a wide variety of resources and services to entrepreneurs looking to start a business. No matter which industry you are looking to start in, we will have expert advice. Below are some of the valuable services we offer that can prepare you with adequate knowledge to start a business.
- Free Business Plan Template & Cash Flow Forecasting Tool
- Business Plan Services
- Free Introductory Business Advisory
- Educational Webinar
- One-on-one Business Advisory
Government of BC
- Learn more about starting a food and beverage processing business in BC
- Learn more about starting a restaurant in BC
- Checklist for starting a restaurant in BC
Government of Canada
- Checklist for starting a business in restaurant/catering
- Checklist for starting a food truck business
BCRFA is a group of restaurant professionals that are leaders amongst industry organizations committed to creating the best business environment. They serve to provide expert knowledge and opportunities to help them thrive in the food and restaurant industry.
BCFPA represents micro, small, medium, and large processing companies in BC. They strive to provide education, represent the community and share information that affects the society.
CFIA is a regulatory agency that is dedicated to safeguarding food, animals and plants, which enhances the health and well-being of Canada’s people, environment and economy.
Regulations and Requirements
Canada Institute of Food Safety
- List of food safety laws and requirements in BC
Canadian Food Inspection Agency
- Federal rules for starting a food business in Canada
- Food labelling requirements for consumers
- How to acquire food licenses
Vancouver Coastal Health
- List of food service permits and application forms that are necessary when starting a food business.
- Foodsafe guidelines that needs to be followed by any food service businesses to ensure safe food handling and hygiene.
Advice and Tips
Small Business BC
The COVID-19 pandemic has hit the food and beverage industry particularly hard. Here are some resources you can access to find the available programs and a community to lean on for support.
Other Valuable Resources