The COVID-19 pandemic has demonstrated the adaptability and resilience of business owners. When faced with an unprecedented crisis, many quickly pivoted and found a way to survive, providing invaluable services for their communities.
In these uniquely challenging times, this collective effort has demonstrated we are stronger together. That’s why Small Business BC, alongside our partners at Envision Financial, is pleased to announce the return of an event that will bring our community together to learn, network and share their experiences – Build. Grow. Thrive.
Though we can’t gather in person, you’re invited to join us remotely on Wednesday, September 23rd for a day of education that connects entrepreneurs with the province’s leading tools and resources. We understand the challenges business owners currently face, that’s why each session on the day will deliver practical advice tailored toward navigating our “new normal.”
Attendees can expect engaging webinars, panel discussions featuring entrepreneurial experts, a virtual tradeshow, and breakout rooms for networking with fellow attendees.
Build. Grow. Thrive. Agenda
09:30am – 10:00am: Virtual Event Door Opens
Take a seat in one of our networking rooms, introduce yourself to fellow attendees, or take some time to meet with the exhibitors at our virtual trade show and learn how they can help your business.
10:00am – 10:10am: Opening Remarks (Main Stage)
Join us for the launch of the day’s schedule, with remarks from Tom Conway, CEO, Small Business BC, and Dave Lanphear, President, Envision Financial.
10:15am – 10:55am: COVID-19 Workplace Health & Safety (Main Stage) – Presented by WorkSafeBC
As we navigate the public health challenges of COVID-19, every employer is required to have a COVID-19 safety plan that assesses the risk of exposure at their workplace and implements measures to keep their workers safe. Presented by Chris Back, Director, WorkSafeBC, this 30-minute session provides information and resources on how to keep your team, and the public, safe from exposure. This session will be followed by a 10-minute questions and answers period with Chris.
11:15am – 11:55am: Managing Your Cashflow During Difficult Times (Main Stage) – Presented by Envision Financial
COVID-19 continues to impact the cash flow of businesses across our province. Fortunately, there are key steps businesses can take to adapt. Join Andrew Unruh, Business Banking Advisor, Envision Financial, and Sacha Kayriamova, Commercial Banking Advisor, Envision Financial, for this 30-minute presentation and learn best practices and advice for managing business finances during a time of crisis. This session will be followed by a 10-minute questions and answers period.
12:15pm – 1:15pm: Panel Discussion: Growing Your Business – From the Inside Out (Main Stage)
What does business growth mean for your business? In this panel discussion, you’ll hear from successful local entrepreneurs on their individual experiences of growth, from planning to goal setting and adjusting for change along the way. Learn valuable tips and approaches from those who have gone down the path already and discover shortcuts for the road ahead. This panel discussion will last approximately 45 minutes, with 15 minutes at the end for questions and answers.
- Samarth Mod, CEO, Freshworks Studio
- Leigh Joseph, Founder, Skwalwen Botanicals
- Arndrea Scott, Director of Retail and Creative Strategy,SPUD.ca
- Mikaella Go, Co-Founder, Vessi
Moderated by Karley Cunningham, Big Bold Brand
1:25pm – 2:05pm: Market Research: Finding the Trends During COVID-19 (Main Stage) – Presented by Small Business BC
Join Mark Eversfield, Market Research Analyst, Small Business BC, and learn how market research can inform how your business handles the COVID-19 pandemic. In his trademark informative and entertaining style, Mark will detail how to gather information about your current and potential customers, changes to consumer behaviour as a result of the pandemic, and other key data tools for making successful business decisions in a time of uncertainty. This presentation will last approximately 30 minutes, with 10 minutes for questions and answers at the end.
2:05pm – 2:10pm: Closing Remarks (Main Stage)
Join us at the Main Stage as we hand out the day’s door prize and share information on the day’s events that are still to come.
2:10pm – 3:00pm: Post Event Networking
Join fellow business owners and discuss what you’ve learned on the day. Make valuable connections and swap stories with those facing the same challenges.
What You’ll Get on the Day
Practical Insights from Industry Experts
Our speakers have been there and done that. They’re ready to share insights they’ve gained from a lifetime of entrepreneurial experiences.
Invaluable Networking Opportunities
Opportunities to network with fellow business owners have been curtailed by the COVID-19 pandemic. Mingle with several hundred locally based entrepreneurs in our virtual networking rooms. Build valuable connections that will help your business.
British Columbia’s Leading Tools and Resources for Entrepreneurs
Between Small Business BC’s educational resources and Envision Financial’s best-in-class business banking services you’ll finish the day informed and ready to navigate the challenges ahead.
Meet with our speakers in a dedicated space and ask them tailored questions relating to your business.
The Support of a Community
During times such as the COVID-19 pandemic, we are stronger when we come together. Learn from those experiencing similar challenges, hear how they pivoted, and leave inspired to take your business to the next level.
How it Works
Small Business BC and our partners at Envision are proud to pioneer a whole new event experience for our audience. We understand this is likely new for you. After all, it’s new for us too! Here’s how the process will work from this point on. Start by clicking the “Register Now” button at the top of the page to secure your place.
Prior to the Event
- After registration, you will receive a confirmation email. This means your place is secure and no further action is required until the day of the event.
- 30 minutes before the event begins, you will receive a reminder email with the direct link to the event. At this point, the virtual doors will be open and
Welcome to Build. Grow. Thrive.
- Once you enter the virtual event, you’ll be in the lobby area. On the left-hand side of your screen, you’ll have several options:
- Lobby – major announcements and agenda items
- Main Stage – where the main presentations will take place
- Breakout Room – a place for small group discussion with presenters following sessions
- Networking – meet and build meaningful connections with fellow attendees speed dating style! Swap LinkedIn info or contact details before time runs out…
- Expo Booths – visit our exhibitors and find out how they can help your small business
- Event Attendees – want to connect with a specific attendee? Book a meeting directly through our Accelevents platform
- At any point in the presentation, feel free to raise questions through the Q&A function at the main stage. It’s as simple as typing your question into a box and hitting submit.
- You can also chat in the lobby using the lobby chat box
- Keep an eye on your notifications and meeting requests at the top of the screen. This is where you’ll be alerted when people want to connect with you.