It’s that time of year again, where you look at your colleague or server questionably, to understand if it’s a fashion statement or an act of charitable giving. It’s Movember!
From its humble beginnings back in 2003, Movember has grown into a huge international event. It now runs in 21 countries and has raised $574 million to help save and improve the lives of men affected by prostate cancer, testicular cancer and their associated mental health issues.
To date, four million moustaches have been grown worldwide. So, how can your small business make a difference?
Even if you’re not growing a mo’, there are still ways that you can help:
- Use social media and newsletters to share stories about your team’s participation and events.
- Offer discounts to your clients participating in Movember.
- Host a party to celebrate the end of Movember for your team members and/or clients.
- Host small internal events like bake sales and raffles of Movember merchandise to encourage donations.
- Offer to dollar match the fundraising efforts of participating team members with a contribution from your business.
- Keep the conversations going. Bring in organizations like the Prostate Cancer Foundation BC or the BC Cancer Foundation to speak about the illness and create awareness.
Although moustaches might look silly to some, they create an important conversation. So whether you are growing a moustache for the next 30 days of Movember or not, why not think of ways that you can support your community Mo’ Bros and Mo’ Sistas? After all, in small business, community is everything.