Helping your business access new markets.
What is the Export Navigator Pilot?
The Export Navigator pilot offers businesses access to community-based export specialists who can provide a personalized, step-by-step approach to exporting and help connect your business to the market information, export programs, financial services, and business development experts it needs at every stage of the process.
Who is Eligible?
Small and medium-sized businesses operating in the following six regions:
- Central & North Vancouver Island (Based in Port Alberni)
- Central Vancouver Island (Based in Comox)
- Cariboo (Based in Prince George)
- North Okanagan (Based in Vernon)
- Pacific Northwest (Based in Prince Rupert)
- Kootenay Boundary (Based in Nelson)
For businesses in the Lower Mainland and those outside of the service areas, there are resources to assist you with exporting. For more information please email: Export.Navigator@gov.bc.ca
Export Navigator Services
- Expert advice and guidance throughout the entire process
- An export readiness assessment
- A business needs assessment
- Market entry strategy support
- Market tools and information
- Streamlined service connections to support services
Benefits of Expanding Your Markets
Diversifies Your Customer Base
Expanding to new markets increases the size of your target market, may broaden your product offering and offset seasonal fluctuations in sales.
Increased production generally leads to economies of scale and decreased cost per unit, which increases your profit margins.
Expanding to new markets fosters innovation in your goods and services, which enhances your competitiveness.
Questions and Answers
How does Export Navigator support the B.C. businesses looking to access new markets?
Businesses receive in-person guidance from an advisor with advanced knowledge in market expansion strategy. Advisors connect businesses to the right service at the right time, saving them time and money.
How quickly do I have to start entering new markets?
Entering new markets takes time. Export Navigator’s goal is to help businesses work efficiently and effectively towards achieving their identified opportunities.
What does a good candidate look like?
A business that can scale up operations, is willing to adapt its goods or services and is able to self-fund or obtain financing for a sustained expansion strategy.
Is there a fee to participate in Export Navigator?
No. Essential services (market entry readiness assessment, business needs assessment, etc.) are free. Clients referred to other service providers for additional support may be subject to a fee for services.
When will I find out if my business qualifies?
Following the completion of a client self-assessment, you will meet with your export advisor to determine if your business would benefit from participation in Export Navigator.
Upcoming Seminars Hosted by Export Navigator
Preparing for International Travel & Tradeshows – November 30, 2017
Understanding CETA: Benefit from Canada’s Free Trade Agreement with the E.U. – January 23, 2018
Export Readiness Quiz
- Has your company received sales inquiries from outside of B.C.?
- Does your company have international business experience?
- Is your company’s management willing to dedicate time and money to develop a new market for a sustained period of time?
- Is your company willing to conduct market research?
- Does your company have excess production capacity or the ability to scale operations?
- Does your product or service have a competitive advantage (quality, price, innovation, etc.) over similar products in your target market?
- Is your company able to secure financing to adapt, ship, and market your product in your target market?
For services in your community, please contact
Central Vancouver Island Region
Kootenay Boundary Region
North Okanagan Region
Pacific Northwest Region
The Export Navigator pilot project is a partnership, with support provided by the B.C. Government, the Federal Government, Small Business BC, Community Futures, and the Comox Valley Economic Development Society.