Video marketing is a strategy that every small business owner should consider. Not only is this form of marketing effective for increasing sales and brand recognition, but, it’s also preferred by customers. This is why it’s so powerful to create an effective video ad for your small business.
Depending on your audience, most markets would rather watch an informative video about your company than scroll down a long page of text. Right now, digital video advertising is a top marketing trend, and your small business can get involved by creating an online video ad.
An informative online video advertisement is a great tool for converting interest into sales and growing your brand on the web. Whether that’s on your website, Facebook page, YouTube channel, eNewsletter or any other way that you market to your customers.
How to Make an Effective Video Ad?
So, how do you create something that will get the job done? Here are five tips to help you create an effective online video ad for your small business.
1. Make the First Few Seconds Count
The beginning of your video is critical. To avoid having potential customers skip your ad or click away, you need to get their attention immediately. Start your video ad with a statement that will spark the interest of those in your target market. Make an effort to hook your audience within the first few seconds by addressing a common problem, asking a relevant question, or by sharing something that makes your brand stand out.
At times, you’ll notice that video ads can be on mute, therefore it’s also important to start your ad with great visuals that encourage viewers to take interest to your video.
2. Highlight What Makes Your Brand Great
Why should viewers be interested in your brand? Answer this question in your video ad by emphasizing what makes your company great at what it does. Tell viewers why your brand is unique and different from others. Share your achievements. Showcase your track record for success. You can even include customer testimonials and positive feedback. The more you highlight the benefits of your company, the more effective your video ad will be.
3. Timing Your Video Ad
Avoid turning your advertisement into a documentary. A majority of the video ads online are 30 seconds or less. Keep this optimal length in mind as you create the script for the video.
That being said, if you are using videos for brand positioning, longer videos can be effective as well. For example, if you’re telling a story about your brand that features a customer or company representative, a longer video would be ideal.
Either way, it’s essential to eliminate unnecessary content, and spread your message as quick as possible to keep viewers watching and engaged.
4. Tell Viewers Why
Your video should tell viewers why they should choose your brand. What is it that makes your products or services, “the right choice”? Whether it’s a great value, unlimited warranty, or patented technology for creating a unique product, you need to give viewers a reason to go with your company. It’s important to emphasize this when planning and filming your online video ad.
5. Use a Call to Action
The goal of every advertisement is to encourage people to take some sort of action. Your advertisement should be no different. The call to action (CTA) can either be filmed, or added through graphics and text.
Ideally, it’s best to include the CTA at the end of the video. For example, to show viewers how they can visit your website for more info, sign up for a discount, or purchase your products and services.
Create an Effective Video Ad – What to Consider
Now you understand how to create a response to your video ad – what else do you need to consider in the creative process? Here are a few additional tips to keep in mind when creating an online video ad for your small business.
- Solve a Problem – What problem is your business solving? How are you doing so? A good video ad will highlight a problem, and show viewers how it will be solved by the brand.
- Use a Script – It’s essential to have a well put together plan before creating content in any format, especially when it comes to video. Don’t try to wing it! Create a script for your video ad that includes the important components mentioned above. After doing so, get it reviewed by friends, family, and those with a good understanding of your brand. Feedback is extremely valuable for making the necessary adjustments.
- Choose a Platform – Once you’ve produced and edited your video ad, it’s important to upload the content to a quality platform. Video hosting issues are the last thing you want. At the moment, YouTube, Vimeo and Facebook are the most popular and reliable choices for uploading video content. You can use all three options to extend the reach of your video.
- Get Creative – Online viewers are used to seeing commercials online and clicking away. Choose a unique format or style that allows your brand to promote itself while appealing to your target market. The more creative you get, the more your video will stand out from the content of competitors.
Keep these tips in mind as you plan and create an online video ad for your small business. Whether your goal is to increase sales, or brand recognition, you’ll find video marketing to be an effective strategy.
Here to Help
At Small Business BC, we’ve got the resources and supports you need for your business to succeed. This November, we’re offering all webinars and Talk to an Expert Advisory sessions for FREE.
Want to grow your customer base? Add your business to our BC Marketplace and tap into a province-wide audience looking to shop local and support small businesses like yours.